Midnight Shadows Guided Games GENEsis: DOFP Genesis In Character Days of Future Past [NYC] The Three Musketeers [Theatre, continued#2]

11-23-2018
08:48 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Ellen (F)
Style: Gotham
11-23-2018, 08:48 AM
The Three Musketeers [Theatre, continued#2] [Post #1]
The Three Musketeers

Everybody is running on high emotions. Scott is still not Scott, he did get an upgrade in sleeping arrangements. A futon instead of a cot but he's still zonked out most of the time. When he's awake, he's talking gibberish. Mostly about where they've kept Beth. Repeating the name of the compound over and over. And then there's the white lady he keeps mentioning, is he talking about Emma?

Another little fact is that Gabe and Alex haven't spoken to each other just yet. That needs to happen. Things need to be said and what better way to do that, than over the body of your insane brother.

People currently there: Scott!Emma, Alex, Gabe and then there are Paige and Cait who are trying to keep the peace for as much as that is possible.

RULES
* For Scott, Cait [Ellen], Emma, Alex [Chrissie], Gabe & Paige [Fred] initially. Crashing is allowed.
* All GENEsis and Board rules apply.
09:50 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-23-2018, 09:50 AM
[In-Character] [Post #2]
So here they were, all together in one room with no kids. Just the grownups and all Cait wanted to do was run away and see what her children were up too. Her daughter had been stalking around like she had something on her mind and it had unsettled Caitlin. The girl was only four and she acted like she was thirty. Which told her something else was going on but the little girl had refused to tell her anything.

She figured it had something to do with Scott. The man currently lying unconscious on the futon, not even aware that his two brothers were in the room.

A very awkward silence ran through it, nobody speaking but Cait could feel it all. The pent-up frustration, anger, sadness and guilt. Lots and lots of guilt. Gabe had told her to shut it off but it was so ingrained in her to feel out the room that she had left her powers on.

And now nobody was talking.

Great. Just fucking great.

“So, are there more people not dead that we should know about?” Caitlin just asked, getting the ball rolling. “Because I’m not sure we can handle any more resurrections.” Perhaps if they kept this going Tony Stark would walk through the door and Wanda figures out how to get her brother back to life. Now wouldn’t that be interesting?

“Especially if they end up being as nuts as Scott over here.”
04:25 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
Name: Chrissie (F)
Style: Sovereign
11-23-2018, 04:25 PM
[In-Character] [Post #3]
Alex was motionless, cowering in front of the bed where Scott was sleeping – out like a light. His legs spread, he had elbows on his knees, and his hands touched between them. His eyes continued to roam the unmoving form as he tried to force himself to compute. His big brother – he was back. But he wasn’t. Narrowing his eyes, he tried to silently pry the answer from the other man be sheer power of will alone. But nothing happened. Of course, nothing would happen. Alex did not possess that kind of power.

His gaze slipped away from Scott and to his hands. The image from so long ago floated to the surface. His mother’s dying form, willing him to go find … his brother. He still wondered whether she had even known then that there were two of them. Not just Scott, but yet another man bearing the name Summers.

Found him, mom, he thought, closing his eyes as the memory sent a painful shiver through him. But this time, I’m too late.. He ran his right hand across his face as if to wipe away the ghosts that stemmed from a time when he had still been wet behind the ears. Alex stood, sad gaze on Scott for just a moment longer as a different memory pushed to the front.

You’re the oldest now. Paige’s voice. And as if in reflex his gaze wandered to her form. Their eyes met, and he drew from her presence. With her near him, there was always something to hold on to when the ground beneath him shifted. Where in the past, he would have turned to anger, shouting and throwing fists, there was now her skill to shift things back to straight and even lines. Alex pushed his hands into his pockets and stepped closer to Paige, bringing himself to within an arm’s length from her. His body turned towards her, he looked up and over at Cait.

He wanted to tell her to be careful with what she was saying, wanted to warn her. He wanted to point out that virtually, no one had been resurrected – save for him. And that if she was talking about Ben then she ought to just cut it the fuck out. Alex had no doubt that she could sense the hostility flaring in an impulse. He swallowed and sucked in air.

You’re the oldest now…, again her words in his mind. “Not that I am aware of, Caitlin.”

bury my heart next to yours
11-23-2018
05:53 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
Name: Fred (F)
11-23-2018, 05:53 PM
[In-Character] [Post #4]
He was calmer, somewhat, at least around his wife, and Tony was no longer giving him long hard looks from across the room. The twins were four and he sometimes wondered what all went on inside of their head. He had always assumed it was some sort of twin quirk. But then Ben, his nephew, showed up, and the three seemed to work in tandem without ever having to verbally communicate. Something was at work in their heads that no parent seemed privy to. Now that Beth was awake more than she slept, he felt compelled to inquire. And he knew she sensed it. That morning she had looked up form her eggs and encourage him with a simple, ‘out with it’, but he had choked on the opportunity. Sometimes just seeing her doing something as mundane as eating breakfast still shook him.

Alex stood beside Scott and he wondered what he thought he saw. He wasn’t sure if Alex had yet to encounter their brother when he was awake, if he had been privy to the madness, the lack of recognition. It had cut so deep. Enough though that he kept circling around what would be more painful, having him there but completely fractured, or him still being gone. It kept circling the background of his thoughts.

He watched Alex look to Paige and it was odd, yet oddly familiar. They used to pair up so often then and now she was willing to stand with him. He struggled with it. Alex had faked his death and left him, left their family, left her, pregnant no less, and she was willing to just let him back in. He had a hundred questions for her, but she was always with damned Alex and he wasn’t ready to do anything with him.

There’d been no, ‘hey Gabe, I’m sorry I’m a fucking asshole’, or ‘hey Gabe, I didn’t mean to just abandon you’ nothing. No explanation, just him showing up and expecting the fuck knew what.

“People have to actually die in order to be resurrected.” He bit off before he could continue further, and pressed his teeth together. Perhaps someone could fetch Pietro back form the dead and put Wanda’s head back together again.
11-23-2018
08:06 PM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-23-2018, 08:06 PM
[In-Character] [Post #5]
Caitlin frowned, obviously picking up on the hostility coming from Alex. What the hell did he think she meant with her question? For fucks sake. It was an honest question, okay maybe it had been a jibe at them for keeping secrets but as she looked at Scott, she had kept one from him as well. Mostly out of spite because he had been lying to them for four years.

Scott groaned, shifting in his sleep and his face contorting into a frown. She felt his unease but didn’t dare to touch him empathically. Last time he went nuts on her and she had to put him out.

Instead she let him sort to his emotions on his own and only helped him when he couldn’t get to sleep himself. When he was begging for sleep.

She wanted to reply to Alex but her husband beat her too it and the anger that he spoke with made her recoil.

Wow, Gabe… She thought. Neither brother spoke further and she let out the most annoyed sigh she could muster.

“For crying out loud!” She exclaimed. “Alex tell him. Tell him what you told me in the park, explain to him why you did what you did.” Cait placed her hands on her hips, looking from Alex to Gabriel. “Gabe, I know you’re angry but hear him out, okay?” She gentled her tone, gave him a smile and hoped that he wouldn’t explode or worse walk out again without talking. She stepped closer to him, took his hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

No matter what, he needed to hear his brother out.
01:54 AM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-26-2018, 01:54 AM
[In-Character] [Post #6]
Scott was lying on a bed in a room right in front of her. Beth was curled up in a somewhat similar fashion somewhere else on that very level. Both seemingly physically unscathed. But their minds…she wondered about everything that they held; what they had seen, what they had endured. If there were similarities. She had found Beth still contained, but that had not been the case with Scott. She lifted a hand and pressed it against her right temple to counter the pressure threatening to bloom there.

Their positions in the room were telling. Gabe stood near Scott’s feet, somewhat near Caitlin. Paige stood closer to the door with Caitlin between herself and Gabe. Alex observed Scott. She wondered what each brother saw when they looked at him. Scott was the oldest, and he had always been the quintessential oldest, but he had had Gabe to be an older sibling to his entire life, the practice had been exceedingly refined.

She wanted to say that she hoped they’re weren’t in for more surprises in regard to people rising form the dead. A long time ago she would have laughed and scoffed at the idea of zombies running amuck, now resurrection meant something wholly other.

Then Alex shifted in place and she found him looking at her. He moved towards her, pivoting himself to stand somewhat facing her as though drawn in by gravity.

Gabe snapped a cute remark as was customary, and it surprised her more than he kept himself from rolling it further. “Gabriel.” She said his name somewhat caught between a calming measure and a warning, and he frowned at her before folding his arms across his chest.

“Whose side are you on?” Gabe quipped.

“I’m on our side.” She replied, tempering her irritation.

“No, Paige, you-”

Thankfully, Caitlin cut in and she watched Gabe recoil back into the pouty version of himself that he had mostly outgrown. It was still amusing to see the redhead curb someone like Gabriel Summers the way that she managed to.

When Alex glanced at her, she took the half a step necessary to bridge the meager distance between them and set her hand encouragingly against his side.
11-26-2018
09:47 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-26-2018, 09:47 PM
[In-Character] [Post #7]
Alex remained silent, listening to Caitlin and then to the exchange between Gabriel and Paige. His expression darkened and Alex found it troublesome to not tell his younger brother to just back off. Shifting closer to Paige, but remaining behind her in relation to Gabriel, Alex just stared at the other man. He knew that Paige did not need his protection. She could deadpan any guy all on her own.

He pushed his hands into the back pockets of the jeans he wore, and allowed himself to be calmed by Paige’s touch to his side. His eyes found hers and somehow it felt like they were having a complete conversation without a single word. Was it worth it? Would offering Gabriel anything really make a difference? Alex could clearly recall Paige’s words from before. He’s hurting. Alex wanted to sneer, wondering why when he did he didn’t just say so.

But Alex knew that he probably would not act any differently in Gabriel’s position.

So, Alex took Paige’s hand and pulled it to his mouth. He pushed his lips against the skin of the back of her hand. Their eyes met again, and then he let go of her. He shot Caitlin a glance, putting no effort in at all to pretend that he thought this would do any of them any good.

Alex let his gaze shift to his older brother. Sadness swept over him. He had wanted to prevent exactly that. “I was at the warehouse to intercept a delivery of Sentinel parts.” Gabriel would likely remember this. “I overheard a unit of black suits speaking about …”, he hesitated for a moment, looking up at Gabriel, “… us. How only a complete set would make it worth their while.” They had known as much then.

“I just didn’t know why guys with omega level clearance had to be there for shipment of parts.” He recounted the story, stealing a fleeting glance at Caitlin. She had heard this before. “So I followed.” He shrugged. “I know I should have radioed it in … but …” He shrugged, then worked his shoulders. “And then I had a Sentinel behind and the thing blew me to pieces.” His left arm took hold of his right one. “Literally.

“So I just ran with it.” He said, ending the tale.

“I let you bury that arm”, his voice had lost in volume now and his gaze was no longer focussed on any of the people in the room. “Give you a shot at anything more normal than constantly being on the run …” His words were directed at Gabriel even if his glance was directed into the past. The four years that had followed were the darkest chapter of his life.

“I lived as a baseline … worked security for the SFG. I was trying to gain omega clearance to work cases such as Emma Frost, Thor… Scott.”

The entire story sounded hollow. He had sacrificed so much for what – in hindsight – seemed so little. Alex drew on the memory of what Paige has said to him.

He’s going to lash out. He’s in pain, suddenly having to rehash the grief he fell into when you died.

So, in spite of himself, Alex lifted his head, looking at his younger brother. “It was harder than I thought it would be. But I did what I thought was the right thing …” So much he had not known while hidden away in the bland existence of a baseline security guard.

He exhaled. “I’m sorry, Gabriel …”

11-26-2018
11:38 PM
Aquilae
counting stars
Supervisor
Contributor
11-26-2018, 11:38 PM
[In-Character] [Post #8]
It felt like being shoved into a corner. It felt like being ordered to sit and take whatever was doled out, regardless of how it made him feel. Why didn’t anyone care about that? Why were they sticking up for Alex and trying to pave some smooth line between them? He had managed to make it this far without Alex, and he could manage to continue on without him.

His brother’s story seemed to have the opposite effect that his wife and his friend hoped. They seemed convinced that Alex had good reasoning for thinking death was a good idea, staged or not. The rational part of his mind tried to make sense of it, tried to design his explanation in the formatting that he was trying to present it in. But all Gabe felt was anger, and it was threatening to spiral. He rolled his hand into a fist and the familiar spark of warm solar energy snapped across his knuckles, even as he tried to swallow back the rising flood.

“You’re sorry?”

Why had he gone to Paige first?

“You faked your death to give me a shot at a normal life?” He shot back, his voice elevating near the end of the accusation and his hand slipped free of Caitlin’s enough to ball up. “What kind of fucking sense of normal entails one brother taken to gods only knew where and one struck dead by the same hands?”

He took a step towards his brother and his control frayed at the edges, sending a ripple of heat directly at the other man in synch with his own momentum forward. It pissed him off that it barely registered, that Alex was able to absorb the majority of it, and that the only damage was the half round indentation left against the door frame behind him. And it hadn’t even been pushed on purpose. He was better than this lack of control. He had used his pain and his anger to wrap it all up neat in the otherwise absence of the other two men in the room.

They should have been there.

He had needed them there.

His emotions pitched into his eyes and it just made him angrier. “Did you ever even plan to come back? Or were you happy living your stupid human life?” His palm shoved against Alex’s shoulder before he even thought to lift it to do so. “Tell me, did you enjoy yourself living with them? Acting as one of them while we were here putting your memory in the ground?” Fuck he was changing his kid’s name. “How’d it feel pretending to be the people that took one of us and killed the other?”

He picked up on Paige in his periphery. “And what about her?” He growled as he shoved at Alex again. “Too fucking blind to ever see that she was in love with you and you just left her. Just like you left everyone else! And you just waltz back in with ‘I’m sorry’.”

He had wanted to protect him, but he didn’t care. “What about what I wanted?”
11-27-2018
09:41 AM
Administrator
Renegade Elder
Renegade Elder
Breakdown at the Core
Administrator
Contributor
11-27-2018, 09:41 AM
[In-Character] [Post #9]
And then Alex spilled his guts. Told Gabriel everything about what had happened the past 4 years and where he had been and what he had been doing. Yet, Cait could feel that Gabriel wasn’t receptive. He was angry, and she didn’t blame him one bit. Instead she absorbed the heat that rolled off of him and curb the emotions streaming into her.

That was a lot harder than it normally took for her to do so.

Especially when Gabriel lashed out when Alex said he was sorry. His hand falling away from hers, but it didn’t help with the onslaught of emotions that were hammering at her. Was it because she was so attuned to Gabriel that she had problems with her empathy right now? Or was something else going on? She didn’t know and right now that was far from the issue at hand.

She felt Scott starting to stir the moment Gabe used his power. Her head snapped towards the sleeping man, who was tossing his head back and forth.

Cait turned her attention back to her husband, who wasn’t nearly done berating his older brother for what he had done. It did something to Caitlin, all the pent-up anger and aggressiveness that streamed of her husband… well it was weird but she found it kind of hot to see him like this.

She took an involuntary step towards Alex, the emotions of her husband guiding her and telling her to punch the guy in the face. What the hell? Cait stopped. Just stopped. Dialed the switch back as much as she could. Except she could always feel Gabe, knew where he would be and what he felt but the urge to punch his brother… well that simmered down.

However, then there was Scott who was clearly not asleep anymore and now gazing at the two younger men.

“Gabe …” She whispered, staring at Scott who was looking like he wanted to have a go as well. “… He’s awake.”
08:17 PM
Administrator
Magi General
Magi General
No rhyme or reason
Administrator
Contributor
11-28-2018, 08:17 PM
[In-Character] [Post #10]
Alex pushed his lips together, creating a tense facial expression that easily gave away just how uncomfortable this moment was. All about this was so painfully familiar.

What was he doing here?

Who was he kidding? Was anyone really going to listen? Was it not just more of the same? Sitting somewhere between all the sides, not fitting one side, not the other. The sore thumb. In one way or another, had it not always been his place? And now, gazing up at his brother, it was like reality had caught up with him – showing him all over again, that no other place really existed for him.

Alex felt miserable, would have retracted his story if he could have. What was the point telling anyone the truth when all it got you was a blow to the chin? Literally even. Alex felt the energy rather than saw it. He would never need eyes to pick up his brothers. Was that not the one thing that had brought them together back at the time? He know little to nothing about them. They could have very well just been complete strangers. After all, it had been them who had had the luck to grow up together. Alex had done so much of his growing up alone.

Gabriel’s voice was like a sword through the silence that had grown so thick. “You’re sorry?” Alex almost flinched. His eyes found Paige’s and he clenched his upper jaw down onto the lower one. He was broadcasting his down for her on just about every non-verbal channel. He had wanted to have faith in Paige’s words – but here, and now, could either of them really pretend that this would work?

“You faked your death to give me a shot at a normal life?” Gabriel was not done yet. Quite the opposite, Alex thought, as the other man’s voice rose in levels. “What kind of fucking sense of normal entails one brother taken to gods only knew where and one struck dead by the same hands?”
I never was your brother, the reflexive retort simply popped into his mind. It took a lot of Alex’s willpower to keep it in. The energy washing over him, did not do much in favour of his self control. Heat had little effect on him. And the part of it that would have, he absorbed. It was an action equally reflexive as the need to retort in that irrational manner of self-defense.

Alex said nothing. Gabriel clearly wasn’t done. The younger man seemed to only be gaining momentum. Was that moisture in his eyes? Alex was surprised by the trouble he suddenly had swallowing. He pulled his hands up and crossed his arms in front of his chest. The breath he took was deep.

“Did you ever even plan to come back? Or were you happy living your stupid human life?” Alex let him fare when Gabriel’s hand came up to shove against his shoulder. However, remaining silent was growing harder, especially when his brother was instinctively hitting the spot where it hurt. Happy was certainly not he would have used.

“Tell me, did you enjoy yourself living with them? Acting as one of them while we were here putting your memory in the ground?” It was like Gabriel was slowly working its way up the latter. Alex felt his breathing grow deeper and deeper as blow after blow seemed to hit him dead center. He was not sure the effect could have been bigger had Gabriel used his fists. “How’d it feel pretending to be the people that took one of us and killed the other?” Alex closed his eyes for a moment and tilted his head to the slightly for a moment. He was working hard to just remain calm and not pummel the other man into the ground before walking over and out on him.

“And what about her?” In a reflex, Alex pulled in a sharp breath. Back the fuck off. He opened his eyes, and blue eyes fixed on Gabriel. He let himself be pushed back when Gabriel shoved a second time, taking much longer to return to his stance this time. “Too fucking blind to ever see that she was in love with you and you just left her. Just like you left everyone else! And you just waltz back in with ‘I’m sorry’. What about what I wanted?”

He exhaled through his nose, equally sharp, forcing himself to focus to sort through his words.
Well, sorry, kiddo … world doesn’t always give you lollipops and unicorns. Sometimes all you get is a pile of shit.
You back the fuck off from Paige. She doesn’t need you to speak for her. But neither did she need Alex to do it, didn’t she?!
Bohoo … you never wanted another brother that’s for sure. I broke your little perfect world. What do you do with the brother in the middle? I never fit.

Alex swallowed, another breath through his nose. In. Out.
“What did you want, Gabriel?”

That was when the other woman in the room reappeared on his radar. For a moment he had been so focussed on Gabriel, that only Paige had had room in the back of his mind. Her voice made Alex follow her gaze and he stared down into the open eyes of his older brother.

Seeing the first Summers without the trademark red in his eyes took Alex back a step. Now he could feel the moisture rising into his eyes. He unfolded his arms from his chest and one of his hands sought Paige’s. Scott was little more than an aged shadow of himself. God, he looked like he had gained so much more than a few years. But that missing shade of brilliant red was the worst. Scott had been the first of them all. Was he not meant to be the bearer of their torch? Their oldest. Leading the three of them.

The creature on that bed there looked like he could barely even walk, let alone lead anyone.

And as Alex kept his gaze right where his was he had a pretty good idea what he would say if anyone asked him what he would have wanted.

None of this to ever happen. Then Scott would be fine. Gabriel wouldn’t be angry. Alex would still have his arm – and he wouldn’t have missed so damned much.