PDA

View Full Version : Jeremiah Crayn; Rash Decision?

Sobriquet
03-23-2011, 07:27 PM
OK, so I have a dilemma when it comes to Jeremiah. I only really created him because I wanted to get back into EC now that I wasn't on the staff there any more and all the new races kind of swept me into a whirlwind and I ended up with a character I never planned on having. As such, he had no plan or plots whatsoever and the very tentative plans that I set up for him after his creation very quickly fell through. I've got a devo for him but I can't write it, for some reason. There's a blockage there and I just have no interest in him whatsoever.

My problem is that I've had a new idea for a character that I've already managed to write a two page ficlet for without him even being written in. However, do I want to give up in Jeremiah so quickly in favour of this new character who could potentially just go the same way. I doubt he will since I'll be able to work this new guy in more than Jer but I don't want to be the sort of person than flicks between characters all the time without at least giving them a shot.

Suggestions/advice are very much welcomed :)

poliahu
03-23-2011, 09:35 PM
Tom,

From my own personal experience I hated to play characters that didn't inspire me in someway. Instead of RPing being fun and enjoyable, I would find playing these characters a tedious chore. I for one would hate to see Jeremiah disappear but that's just because he's a fellow Scourge. The fact that you stated, "There's a blockage there and I just have no interest in him whatsoever", is really your answer. I would say scrap him and go in the direction you feel the most inspired.

As for the new character I'd say sit on it a bit. If you still feel inspired to play the character after waiting on actually submitting his bio then I figure that's a good sign you'll continue to be inspired. I've done this a lot myself and many characters have been scrapped because after I've written their bios I've waited to submit it and just never felt inspired once their personality and history were concrete. A part of me was sad to see them go but overall I was ok with it because you never want a character that's just there for no good reason then to be there.

Hopefully that helped somewhat.

Loki
03-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I agree with Lia. It's no fun playing a character you feel you have to make yourself play. You already said that you have no interest in playing him and trying to force yourself to do so is going to make you outright dislike the character. If inspiration strikes at some point in the future, you could perhaps bring Jeremiah back then?

If you feel strongly about this new character, the only way you're really going to know if you want to play him is to do just that.

Maybe I'm not the awesomest person to be answering this because I've been guilty of scrapping characters after one or two posts, because sort of what Lia pointed out, sometimes I just like creating characters and once they've been "given life" I'm kinda over them :shifty: or they don't fit in right anywhere in the game.

...if you put Jeremiah away, I would very much appreciate you recycling/re-using his AI (A)

Sobriquet
03-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Thank you, girls :) You've really helped me decide on what to do. You're both right in saying that there is no point keeping a character I have no connection with and can't write anything for so I think Jer'll be retired regardless of what I decide to do. I'm still in two minds about the whole thing but thank you for your advice :D